Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Another WoFF

So, yeah... well, um, this is awkward... you never called, and I just assumed that... um, yeah, great, no, I'm doing well, how about you? That's... what, oh, I'm sorry, I have another call coming in... we'll go to lunch or something though, okay? Yeah, alright. No, thanks for calling- it was totally unexpected... yeah, just E-mail me. Sorry, you know how things get with ex's... wow, that felt like it was just going to keep going on... if I hadn't stopped it, that 'conversation' would have gone on forever... what, oh, sorry, wrong blog.

Okay, well, reacting to criticism that I've been focusing too much on awful 'martial' stuff, back to Watched on Fast Forward- still not the ties for worst movie ever made (writing that has proven too great a strain)- no, this is Rumor Has It. Okay, technically speaking, this isn't in the spirit of the blog for two reasons:
1) I went in expecting for it to not suck (given the cast and Rob Reiner @in the director's chair)
2) I bought the DVD (sight unseen), so much for cheap fun at the expense of others.

Okay, so Jennifer Aniston... Shirley MacLaine... Kevin Costner (still to date, best seen in Silverado, an unheralded classic of a modern Western), Marc Ruffalo, Mena Suvari, Richard Jenkins (how long is this guy gonna toil in relative obscurity... he's fricken awesome in everything) and some other folks.

The basic story- Jennifer Aniston's character lives in New York with her fiance . Returning to Pasadena (a town in which she has always felt out of place) for the wedding of her sister, she begins to wonder if 'The Graduate' is based on her family's story and if she is not the love-child of the 'other man.' Now, she will stop at nothing (including the prolonged, Peckinpah-inspired shoot-out at the en... sorry, wishful thinking) to find the truth.

Why did I think that this was a good idea? I dunno, but it wasn't. The list of complaints run pretty deep, without going into each and every one... this movie was released in 2005 but set in 1997... oh that nostalgia I feel for last week (if anything, seeing brickphones and other 'dating' set dressing created cognitive dissonance, did not evoke an era... of only 7 years before...), the foolish decisions made by the main character, the fact that for anything approaching humor is really only when Shirley MacLaine is onscreen- scratch that, they did mine the superfunny, laugh-a-minute vein of comedy gold known as, 'did I just commit incest?!?!' That's a knee-slapper alright.

In short, I debated posting this because:
1) It meant admitting that I'd seen it
2) It isn't even quite bad enough to recommend, it just isn't good
3) I hate to beat-up on R.R... After This is Spinal Tap, When Harry Met Sally and Princess Bride, he should be allowed some clunkers, but sewiouswy, when do we get some good output from him again?

Ugh, just, if you see this on a store shelf, and vaguely remember some buzz about it and figure'with that cast, how bad could it be? Hell, I'll plunk down $3. for it'- don't. Run. It might save your life.

No comments:

Post a Comment